February 22, my friend Kaycee and I decided to take a spontaneous day trip to Madrid. We literally flipped a coin (heads we go, tails we stay) and what do you know? HEADS!! So we went (I didn´t even inform my parents until we were on the bus headed there [oops]) and I couldn´t be happier to make such a rash decision!
Kaycee and I took a bus there Friday night and arrived in Madrid early Saturday morning. First thing we did was get some coffee and grab a map of Madrid. We decided to take a free walking tour that started in La Puerta del Sol (The door of the sun.) AND YES I SAW MINNIE AND MICKEY MOUSE! :) Then to Plaza Mayor which was the original square for entertainment. And entertainment for Spaniards is killing and torturing people (back in the 19th and 20th centuries, of course!)
On our way to the Royal Palace, we pasted the first restaurant in Spain and IN THE WORLD! Yes, in the world!!! Sometimes the King will even make appearances along with other important world leaders!
Catedral de Santa María la Real de la Almudena de Madrid
The Royal Palace aka my real home ;)
The ¨¨Origen de las Carreteras Radiales¨¨ which is the very center of Spain!! It [very] loosely translates to ´´All roads lead out from here¨¨
Royal Gardens
Museo del Prado (My favorite Museo in the world!!)I saw Las Meniñas in person which was definitely the highlight of the highlight of my trip! I couldn´t take any photos of it, but I can assure you that it was the most beautiful painting I have ever seen!
After the Prado, we went to La Reina Sofia and saw Picasso's Guernika! It was huge and more beautiful in person that I could have imagined!WE THEN GOT STUCK IN A PROTEST!!!!! It is truly amazing to see these people fight for what they believe in. The country has been suppressed by so many years through Francoism and the people are so passionate about Spain's new found 'democracy'. In the States, protest are normally about a specific topic or issue, but here it was about all the problems going on: education, pay cuts, evictions, city workers, etc... It was honestly so amazing.
That pretty much concludes our time in Madrid minus the quaint cafes and restaurants we moseyed our way into :)
No comments:
Post a Comment