Saturday, January 12, 2013

Livin' la vida loca

Buenas Tardes!!!

Since I have last blogged last so much has happened- mostly positive, though!  :)
On Wednesday I received my class schedule and I will be on two of UAB's campus' (Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona) one is the Eixample Campus (about 12 blocks walking distance from the residencia) and the Sant Pau Campus (a bit further away so I must take the metro!)

My classes look great and I'm so excited to start really diving into the Spanish culture in every aspect. I am taking three courses: Spanish Civilization and Culture; Spanish Language Course; and The Seven Wonders of Spain. I am contemplating adding an additional class, but I will see come Monday and Tuesday once I get a feel of the courses I am already signed up for.

I'm not sure if I said earlier, but the Metro here is a bit more difficult for me to figure out- and I have been on a lot, it's not like I haven't had experience with them before (US, Italy, London) Hopefully I figure it out pretty darn soon because classes start in less than 36 hours and I am relying on that as my main mode of transportation to school!!!

Another thing about the Metro here is it is extremely dirty- I feel like I need to shower every time I get on and off. It is just gross and smells bad and ew.

Although it is a very safe city, the pickpockets are extremely bad today. Kelcey already has gotten her wallet stolen just by taking her hand off her purse for two seconds to open a door. I mean, it's all they do, that's how these people make money and a living so I hope they are good at it, but it is unfortunate that it is at the expense of others. I'm sure we will all have a small run-in or two, but I'm just trying to be cautious not to bring out my passport/credit and debit cards in fear they may be stolen.

Okay, on with the positive! Our AIFS had a welcome dinner at bar named MILK and it was honestly some of the most delicious tapas I have ever had. For those that don't know, tapas are small entrees that are usually served like family style. We ended up having over 7 rounds of tapas and were literally rolling to get back into our beds.

Friday we received a tour of the La Sagrada Familia (Sacred Family, meaning Joseph, Mary, and Jesus) The church was one of the most amazing buildings I have ever seen and IT WAS NOT EVEN COMPLETE. Gaudi started this church in 1882 and the building is completely funded by donations which is why it is not finished yet. Some other various reasons, too, but that is the main one. Gaudi's main purpose was to have the story of Jesus be told through the artwork on the outside of the church. He believed that people were losing their faith and would not want to go inside; therefore, people would never know the story of Christ. It is truly remarkable and I definitely want to come back if it is ever finished in my lifetime.

After La Sagrada Familia, we went for a little shopping to get some groceries, pillows, towels, etc... and then later went out to a bar that was ON THE MEDITERRANEAN SEA. It was awesome! You walk out the back and you are looking out into this beautiful ocean. Who else can say that they dipped their toes in the Mediterranean while out with friends at a bar?!?!

Saturday (today) was a laid back day filled with some more shopping- this time for clothes :) and we went out to dinner and I had my very first Paella of the trip. Paella is Spain's most famous dish, traditionally filled with rice and all the seafood you can ever think of. Well, for me it was a veggie Paella which was still equally incredible! OH! You can order Rabbit and Octopus here....? I declined the option to try a bite, although I'm sure it was delicious.
I also had Churros which are fried dough with sugar. They are amazing!!! It's dangerous having a churro stand two blocks down from the residencia! :)

That is all for now, but I really do enjoy hearing from ya'll so THANK YOU! It makes being over here so much easier. I spoke with my parents and Chason plus the four legged babies through Skype today as well as my friends Hannah and Cathy. Danielle also sent me a couple pictures of Ikey who is enjoying his stay with his favorite auntie! My mom is going to go visit Hobie tomorrow so hopefully I will have pictures of him soon, too!

THANKS, YA'LL!!!! XOXOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment